How To Choose The Best Car Window Tint Film

Do you want to stay anonymous while driving? Window tinting is a great way to do that. But what percentage of window tinting is the best for your vehicle? It is a common question among drivers with different needs when opting for car window tinting in Arizona. If you’re one of them, this article is for you.

There are a few things to consider when choosing window tinting percentages. From how safe you want to feel to what kind of visibility you like, you must know at least the basics about window tinting before choosing one.

Here’s our definitive guide to help you out!

Car Window Tinting in Arizona

Visual Light Transmission: An Overview

First and foremost, if you want to understand various car window tinting percentages, you must first understand VLT. Visible light transmission, or VLT, is the fraction of light that passes through a window film. When we talk about window tinting percentages for a car, we’re referring to this criterion.

However, you should also consider that the VLT of a window film indicates the percentage of light that can go through the window, not the blocked percentage. In other words, higher VLT window tints let more light infiltrate a window than lower VLT tints.

A window film with a VLT of 35% will allow 35% of visible light into your car and restrict the remaining 65%. On the other hand, a window film with a VLT of 5% will let much less light through—only 5%—while blocking the remainder of 95%.

When referring to car window tinting in Mesa, you must also consider the window tinting color. VLT percentages frequently refer to black window tints, which are by far the most common window tinting option. The manufacturer will list the color and a percentage as the VLT, such as “red 35%,” for drivers who choose a window tint in a different shade.

That’s because window tints with different colors than black have different light-filtering properties. In short, before installing colored window films, pay close attention to how it looks in your vehicle.

What To Expect From The Most Popular VLT Alternatives

Most window film producers will offer numerous tint options in the following VLTs: 5%, 20%, 35%, and 50%. As we previously mentioned, these options vary from allowing more light into the vehicle to allowing less light.

The biggest percentage is 50%. This tint blocks half of the light that enters your vehicle but still allows great visibility.

With 35%, there’s more light blocked, but the window remains visible. Therefore, drivers can enjoy darker, glam windows while feeling safe.

A 20% tint offers excellent privacy because it darkens your windows enough to avoid passers-by from looking inside. It’s another popular option for many drivers, especially those trying Phoenix car window tinting for the first time.

Lastly, we have 5% window tints or ‘limo tints’. This option blocks the vast majority of light, but in most states it’s illegal.

In Arizona, using limo tint on the front side windows and windshield of a sedan, SUV, or van is illegal. These windows must have a VLT of at least 33%.

Percentages Of Lighter vs Darker Car Window Tinting

You’ll probably start asking yourself a broad question as you work to understand and narrow down your window tinting options: should I go lighter or darker?

If you’re torn between two percentages, lighter tints may be the better choice. This is true for a variety of reasons.

For starters, lighter tints provide the same health benefits as darker tints, namely the potential to block up to 99% of UV radiation. These tints also improve your visibility at night. Furthermore, darker window tinting may actually raise your auto insurance rates in some cases!

Choosing The Most Appropriate Tint Percentage

There are a few key factors to consider:

Window Tinting Legal Restrictions

The state of Arizona allows car window tinting, but the percentages vary depending on the type of vehicle and the windows you want to tint.

Car window tinting in Arizona isn’t the same for a SUV as a Toyota Corolla.

Aesthetic Considerations

When tinting their car windows, some drivers are seeking a particular aesthetic. Finding the right VLT for your desired aesthetic can help, whether you want something darker or lighter.

Security & Privacy Issues

Your choice of VLT makes a significant difference in terms of privacy and security.

Lower VLTs can make it more difficult for other drivers and bystanders to see inside your vehicle. This provides increased privacy and security from would-be thieves, but it can also make it difficult for other drivers to see gestures such as a wave to indicate permission to pull in front of you.

Health Issues

One of the advantages of car window tints is that even higher VLTs block up to 99% of UV radiation. However, darker tints offer extra protection for drivers who suffer from illnesses that make them more susceptible to sunlight.

Find The Best Option With The Experts!

We understand that debating the benefits and drawbacks of various car window tinting percentages can be difficult, especially when you cannot visualize the final result. That’s why our team at AZ Wrap & Tint has all the necessary tools to help you! Contact us now to get started and choose the right percentage with a pro by your side!

1497 E. Baseline Rd. Suite 4-109
Gilbert, AZ 85233

Office: 480-535-5285